Friday, February 8, 2013

More Sewing for My Girl - The African Dress



I may have mentioned in the Shoe post that my daughter is in love with pink and purple.  When I offered to let her pick out some wax print material shortly after we arrived in Senegal she made a beeline to this very pink and purple fabric. 
I decided to use it to make a simple dress, similar to the pillowcase dress I made previously.  My daughter loves a full skirt so this gave me the opportunity to add some box pleats to allow the skirt more fullness. The trim and sleeves are made of white flocked pink polyester chiffon that I had in my stash.  I added turquoise embroidery thread behind the box pleats to help them hold their shape as well as bring a little of the color up from the border.  This dress is about ½ hand sewn and ½ machine stitched. 
My girl says she loves her new princess dress. 

 

No comments: