Thursday, February 24, 2011

Night Owls

Another quick project.  I began with a Speedball Speedycut rubber sheet and drew a South African Scops Owl in pencil.  My husband, last to use my carving tools, seems to have lost them during the move so I used a simple paring knife to cut away the rubber sheet.  As I cut away from my design, I use a Sharpie to highlight the areas left behind would print as I intended.  Once the stamp was complete I stamped it onto commercial scrapbooking paper with silver embossing powder.  I have layered this image with other scrapbooking papers and then completed my ATC with a couple of sequins and did some detailing with colored pencils and pens. 
The wonderful thing about carving this stamp is that I could work on it five minutes at a time until finished.  A very handy aspect in a project when caring for a toddler!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Blooming Wylde Iris: What was the size of your finished stamp? 8-)

Wylde Iris said...

Hi Jan 8-),
My stamp was 4 7/16 x 2 1/2 in (or 11.3 x 6.4 cm.) Pretty small design for a print but largish for a stamp. I am considering doing several birds of Africa.