Monday, June 23, 2014

Simple DIY tween gift




My oldest children and nieces are at the tween age and it is sometimes hard to come up with gift ideas for them.  I buy a lot of books for them but I wanted to try something else and then I discovered that friendship bracelets seem to be popular again.
Friendship bracelet gift pack
Supplies: fabric, thread, elastic, buttons or closure, gift pack supplies (see list below)
The Process:
I used 7in squares leftover from a quilting project and sewed together with binding tape but you could simply cut out 2 rectangles 15 x 8 in (includes 1/2 in seam allowance) of fabric or felt.
Lay out your items on the interior rectangle.   I am using safety pins and elastic to secure my supplies.
Pin elastic in correct position and sew in place.
Sew squares right sides together leaving an area to turn inside out. 
Turn inside out and sew closed the opening.
Place bracelet supplies inside case to determine placement of closure.
Sew on closure.
Voila!
 

Included in gift pack

Embroidery Floss (or other pliable string)

Safety pins for the string and when making the bracelets holding the weaving in place

Scissors

Optional:  clasps, beads and buttons in small bags, instruction booklet, needle
a pre-made friendship bracelet, instructions.

A great tutorial to get you started making bracelets:


I have included a modified form of her write-up as a booklet in my gift.

Learn from videos!
Bordered Chevron Bracelet


Heart Friendship Bracelet

Alternating Leaves Bracelet
Wave Bracelet with Beads

There are many, many more video tutorials on Youtube!

No comments: