Tuesday, February 7, 2012

An Owl, A Goddess and Fashion Things...February ATCs

February's ATCs so far...the upper left is my Fashion ATC, upper right is the Hera card and at the bottom is the front and inside of my Brown Owl ATC. 
For the Fashion ATC, I choose to be influenced by the Saque gowns Watteau made famous in his paintings in the early 1700's.  The Saque (sometimes called Sack) is a loose dress flowing from the shoulders.  This style of dress has been occilating in and out of fashion since the 1960's. 
The Hera card was fun to do.  I felt that I had no depth of knowledge on her story so I spent a little time researching her.  In preparing the card I discovered that items associated with Hera are the peacock for pride, the cow for her beautiful large, cow-like eyes, and the pomegranate, symbolic of life's blood and death.  We all know the stories of Zeus cheating on her and that she was very vengeful.  If her story were told in modern times, she would be a more sympathetic, less shrewish character than she comes across in the ancient stories.  She would also be kicking Zeus to the curb.
Finally, the Brown Owl card is made from a stamp I hand carved.  I also tried something I have always wanted to do, I made a 'door' in the card.  The quote from Carl Jung reads 'Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart.'

No comments: