Sunday, March 27, 2011

Market Finds

This weekend my family went to the Irene Market rather than our usual trip to the closer Hazel Food Market.  Irene is a larger market in the town of Irene similar to an art fair in the United States but with way more food vendors.  I would definitely recommend paying a visit if you want to bring home some souvenirs from South Africa or are just looking for a great place to get gifts. 
ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES
While there are several talented artists at Irene Market, the work of Michelle Penny of Gallery Seven caught my eye.  Her painting, Endless Possibilities, used with permission, is a sample of her work.  You can see Penny's palette is vibrant and her subject matter reminiscent of Marc Chagall.  While his work was about love and longing, Penny's subject matter is a more humorous and theatrical take on intimacy.  I will need to make a spot on my wall for one of her paintings. 
Another item that really caught my eye was the super cute hand-made leather shoes of Suki Shoes.  They make shoes for babies and toddlers and I had to get a pair for my little girl. 
The ceramic tiles of Tiled Tapestries turned my head because they reminded me very much of a cheerfully colored version of my treasured Motawi tiles.  The hand-made beads on the bracelets of Piccolo Jewellery & Glass were exquisite.  I also found out they have beadmaking classes not too far from my house.   
There are certainly other great finds at the Market I just wanted to share a few of my favorites.

No comments: