Sunday, July 27, 2008

Earth Oven

This week my youngest and myself went to my friend Tish's house and earned two of these shirts designed by Tish herself. Tish, along with many friends and family, is building an Earth Oven. This is an outside clay oven with a brick base. My son and I helped lay the outside cobb (a kind of clay and straw brick) and place the layer of insulation between outside and inside layer. Tish's son took a video of my son packing the cobb. Check it out below. One packs cobb by stomping on it. My son, who is four, danced and jumped with great enthusiasm to pack the cobb. I am certain this was his favorite part of the process. Many other people have been involved in this process and if you want more information, check out this bulletin board. Here is another blogger's more involved entry.

No comments: